Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Eid Effect On Me

 Thinking it will be End of Ramadan sale, Dara, Nikka and I went out to a non high end department store to buy a jogging pants. I was wearing maong shorts, the typical shorts I used to wear in the Philippines, because it's just a 5 minute walk away from the flat. Dara actually says I shouldn't wear that but it's where I am comfortable with.
 On the department store, luckily, I've already bought a jogging pants. A very old fashioned Arab guy spoke to me:
 Arab: (pointing to my shorts or legs) That's not good in Ramadan, in Islam, it's no good.
 Tracy: (shocked) What? I'm sorry, you see I have this (jogging pants), I'll wear it.
  I ran away, went up to change in the fitting room. While I was waiting for my turn in the room, a British in her middle 40's smiled at me,
  Ms. Brit: Hey, you've got a nice body, huh.
  Tracy: Oh, thanks. But you know the local guy told me I shouldn't be wearing such, coz it's Eid, it's not good for the Islamic country. Blah blah blah.
  Ms. Brit: That's okay, Ramadan will end tomorrow, after that you can wear anything you like.
  Tracy: I guess so. Thanks!
  So, I changed from shorts to jogging pants. And I told the British lady, maybe this is better.
  Hmm, did my legs hurt the local guy's eyes? The lesson of this experience is to stay beside the Europeans and Americans. Hide away from the local guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment